Monday, September 26, 2011

Transitions

The last couple of weeks have been chock full of changes. As certain parts of my life shift around, I've been rearranging my room and helping to reconfigure the common spaces in our house. I feel like I'm really settling into my bedroom this time around...things feel good in the places I've put them and I've started a steady process of decorating.

I took out my drawings from the art classes I took in high school/community college...I used to have them covering the walls of my last home, a studio apartment I was inhabiting alone. Some of the drawings surprised me, as I didn't remember them being so 'good'...others looked unfinished somehow, as they did before. But this time, I realized that I could just...finish them. Smear a background in here, redefine the shadows and highlights there...and then they're fit for wall-hanging. Easy as that.

Today was my last day of funemployment before classes start tomorrow. Instead of staying home doing my habitual cleaning/organizing/blogging/cooking thing I've been doing since my job ended, I drove down to retrieve my keyboard. A year and a half ago, I found this keyboard on craigslist for a ridiculously good price, considering its original retail price and the practically perfect condition it was in.

The timing worked out perfectly for me to drive north of Seattle in a borrowed car and purchase it with the savings I had at the time. I thought I was about to embark on the musical career I've always dreamt about. A year and 3 months ago, I was madly i love and rushing a move from my studio into a house already full to capacity with some of my favorite people. I gave most of my kitchen things away to friends who needed them. And I brought this keyboard over to a friends' house, where she would have more space and use for it than I did at the time.

Today, the timing worked out perfectly for me to drive far south of Seattle in a borrowed car to retrieve it from the aforementioned friend. She's given it lots of lovin' and I could tell she was sad to see it carried out of her bedroom. I felt bad for separating her from her newfound love of the keys...

And, at the same time, I was so ready to have it back. I'd already cleared a space in my room. Gotten my yellow leaf paper lamp out. Put my drawings up. I'm embarking on a new life journey tomorrow--culinary school--and I need to secure these old passions from this previous life before I take the next step.


No comments:

Post a Comment