Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sunrise, Sunset...

Pax and I went camping at Deception Pass (on Whidbey Island) last weekend. I use the term "camping" loosely...as we had our car nearby (as did the people at the other 200-odd campsites) and there were towns and shops within 10 min of the park.

This park is very significant to me, as it was our annual camping spot for most of my childhood. Here, I learned to scamper across the driftwood on the beach and climb wet rocks at low tide. I poked sea anemones and listened to barnacles whistle in the wind. I honed the calluses on my feet by refusing to wear shoes on the stoney beach. I built driftwood forts, collected crab shells, and giggled in the dim light underneath an upturned canoe. I grew up there. Or, rather, it marked different stages of my growth, more significantly than my parents' house because my time there was less and my visits spread out.

So I experienced some closure last weekend, unsurprisingly. It's been about 5 years since the last time I was there, and I've matured (and otherwise changed) quite a bit. I'm grateful for Pax's willingness to humor me in my semi-conscious quest. It was fun to do the things I used to love doing...and funny to see how different things actually are there compared to how they were in my memory.

This is a video I took while we were on the beach watching a stunning sunset. The silhouette of the fisherman was too picturesque to not document, and he even caught a fish while I was filming! Unfortunately, the camera was actually turned away from him at the moment of catching...but no matter. I love how much you can see, with only the outlines of shapes to go off of. And, really, I can't get enough of gorgeous sunsets, especially on the water. Watching the sun set is one activity I will never grow out of.


No comments:

Post a Comment